Reviewed by Potus1 May 22, 2017

Appalling!

About Me
Teacher
I am a....
Expatriate teacher
I work in....
Secondary
How many years have you worked at this school?
Approximate monthly salary
US$35000
Years of experience and responsibilities as a reference for the monthly salary
Other benefits included in the package
  • Accommodation
  • Flights to home base
  • Medical insurance
Salary relative to cost of living in the area
Medium
Are you paid on time?
Usually
Payscale transparency
Satisfactory
Competency of management
Awful
Business owner ethics (if applicable)
Poor
Workload
Low
Pressure to get high exam grades (if applicable)
Very high
Professional development opportunities
Satisfactory
Career progression opportunities
Poor
Parental Support
Poor
Special needs support
Awful
EFL support
Awful
Overall job satisfaction
Not really satisfied
As a teacher, what are the major plus points for working here?
Plus Points: Save money as nothing to spend it on in Beilun apart from local bars. The undemanding admin who allow anything to go. Housing is OK depending on your relationship with admin. ASAs are minimally demanding. Small class sizes. Can ride around on a bike or e-bike.
What areas do you feel are in need of development?
The principal and admin team all need to be replaced and qualified, experienced educators hired. Some teachers are incompetent and lazy but survive based on friendship with admin.
Academics: ELL program is barely existent despite three teachers for a small number of kids. Music, art and science all need fresh teaching blood and enthusiasm.
In winter months, the place is freezing cold and no proper heating system only air conditioners that have to be cranked up to high heat. Some teachers are unpleasant and back-stabbing gossips.
What advice would you give to other teachers considering working at this school?
If you find it hard to get a job elsewhere due to lack of qualifications or a bad reference and don't want any demands, this is the place for you. You can happily cruise for two years but if you are honest and hard working, this will not enhance your teaching experience.In fact, if you put much effort in, your colleagues will hate you for showing them up. As a male teacher, if you have a Filipino wifelet, this is a huge plus and the principal will immediately hire you. Only arrive with no expectations and you won't be disappointed.
I certify that this review is my own opinion based on my personal experience of this school. I understand that International Schools Advisor may remove this review if it is found to be in breach of the site's Terms & Conditions.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account